Skip to main content

Honeymoon Week 1: Sri Lanka - Mount Lavinia

After having breakfast at Norton House, we flew down to Heathrow on the Monday morning after the wedding, to catch our flight to Sri Lanka. Since we hadn't been able to check in online, there was a massive queue but we eventually got rid of our cases and could go and enjoy the lounge which was included as part of our Kuoni booking. We took advantage of the free wine and food before we had to go and join the queue to board the plane.

After a long and uneventful flight we arrived at Colombo airport in Sri Lanka early on Tuesday morning. Since we hadn't really had time to think about the honeymoon before the wedding, I was so excited when we arrived! We found somewhere to change some of our US dollars into Sri Lankan rupees first, as we weren't able to get any at Heathrow. Once we located the Kuoni guide and were put with the right group {there are both standard & superior versions of the same tours; we were on the superior one} we piled onto the coach to take us to our first hotel in Mount Lavinia, which is just 12km south of Colombo, although it took at least an hour and a half to go the 54km from the airport through the busy streets of Colombo. The time zone in Sri Lanka is 5 hours and 30 minutes ahead of GMT, however since we went during British Summer Time, it was only 4 hours and 30 minutes ahead of home. It was really weird having to work out the time with a half hour difference as well.

We finally arrived at the Mount Lavinia Hotel and were shown to our room. We took a nap first since we hadn't slept for long on our overnight flight then we explored the hotel and got some lunch before heading for the spa. We both got a massage and I chose to have a hot stone one. It was lovely and relaxing, the perfect way to start the honeymoon although they were definitely hot stones!

Since we couldn't get massages at the same time, I went to find the computers while I waited for Graham. This gave me a chance to find some photos on facebook and write a quick married blog post! Afterwards, we headed back to our room to get ready for the evening. First we had to meet our tour guide for our first tour briefing, which meant we got a chance to see who else would be on our tour. We weren't sure how many other younger people would be on the tour but it was actually a complete mix of ages including families, couples and friends. We were the only ones on honeymoon, however there was another couple who were getting married the week after the tour in Sri Lanka; she even carried her wedding dress on the coach with us!

Then it was time for dinner and a couple of drinks before bed, since we had an early start in the morning.

The next day we started heading towards Habarana...


Post a Comment

I love hearing from you; thanks for leaving a comment!